It is really possible to install Mac OS on PC (Intel and AMD Desktop). In this topic we will show tutorial how to install and run Mac OS X Yosemite on PCs.
Nowadays, PC Desktop uses socket LGA775 mostly, so we chose a sample devices includingLGA775 Mainboard and Core 2 Duo CPU. Base on our experiences after quite long time installing Mac OS X on different Mainboards, we realize Gigabyte mainboard supports Mac OS X quite well. Otherwise, Gigabyte mainboard is supported strongly by Hackintosh community. Too many people just install and run Mac OS X on Gigabyte mainboard PC smootly without any problems.
You might wanna take a look at some basic information of difference between Mac and PC and the solutions to solve in HACKINTOSH.
In out another topic, we show very specific to install Mac OS X on PC with using Chameleon and Empire EFI booting solution.
4 big steps to install and run Mac OS X Yosemite on PC
Following these 5 steps, you absolute can install and run Mac OS X Yosemite very smoothly on your PC.
Before you begin, you need to have a solution to back up all your current Data on your PC first. Prepare for an USB in 8GB or larger.
Step 1: Download and make Yosemite installing Portable
You need to borrow a Mac and then you can easily download Yosemite from Apple store: Go to Mac Apple Store > use your Apple ID and login > Find and download OS X Yosemite. After downloading, OS X Yosemite Installing will appear in /Applications.
Make USB bootable Yosemite Installing
There are too many ways to make usb bootable. Follow these simple step below:
- Insert your USB to a Mac OS. Run Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility). Choose exact USB volume in the left.
- Click on the Partition tab, and choose just 1 Partition
- Go to Options…, select Master Boot Record
- Type the usb name (OS X Yosemite installing on PC is an example), select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) at Format. And then Click on Apply and then Partition.
- Download and run UniBeast 5.1.0
- Choose USBAt Destination Select and then Continue
- Make sure you choose Yosemite on the Select OS Installation screen, and then click on Continue
- Now you need to determine if using a 5 or 6 Series system with AWARD BIOS, choose Legacy USB Support. Otherwise, if you are gonna setup Mac OS X on your Laptop, choose Laptop Support. Then click on Continue.
- Enter your password and click on Install button.
- It takes about 15-20 minutes. How long does it take that really depend on your USB data transfer speed. Finally, when the processes are finished, drag MultiBeast into your completed USB.
Step 2: Set BIOS setting
What is the optimized BIOS setting for Installing OS X on Desktop PC?
We need to set BIOS to make it like a Macintosh.
Depend on particular Mainboard, but basically, to access BIOS/UEFI Setup, bpress and hold Delete on a USB Keyboard while the system is booting up
- Disable floppy disk
- Temporary disable C1E/C2E/C4E of CPU, We will enable them after installing Kext fully later
- Mac only use AHCI, so we should make this setting for SATA gates. You can enable USB support for Keyboard and mouse. Mac does not support PS/2, so it is better if we use keyboard and mouse via USB connection.
- Enable HPET (High Precision Event Timer) if possible and set back to 32bit. Otherwise, if you are gonna run Kernel of Mac at 64bit mode, you set HPET to 64bit.
- Depends on particular Main-board, you might need to take these orders:
- If your CPU supports VT-d, disable it
- If your system has CFG-Lock, disable it
- If your system has Secure Boot Mode, disable it
- Set OS Type to Other OS
- Save and exit.
Step 3: Install Mac OS X Yosemite on Computer
- Plug the bootable USB created on the step 1, turn on your Computer. Press hotkey choosing USB boot option (normally you press F12 or F8).
If you have trouble reaching the installer, type -x at the Boot screen as shown below. You can type the boot flags GraphicsEnabler=Yes, PCIRootUID=1, maxmem=4096, maxmem=8192, andnpci=0x2000 by themselves or together in order to solve boot issues for older graphics cards and machines. Type -v to bypass the Apple boot screen and enter verbose startup mode. X58 and X79 systems always need npci=0x2000.
- Select language
- You know need to format and make partitions compatible with OS X installing:
3. Click on Partition tab
4. Click Current and choose 1 Partition
5. Click on Options…
6. Choose GUID Partition Method. Under Name: type Yosemite (You can rename it later)
7. Under Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
8. Click on Apply then Partition
9. Finally close Disk Utility
- Choose Yosemite when you are asked to choose where to install. It takes a while and the system should restart itself after the installing is finished completely
Step 4: Install Boot-Loader
Now we need to make the partition that we have just installed Mac OS X Yosemite into bootable.
There is a free tool called MultiBeast. It enable boot from hard drive, and install support for Audio, Network, and Graphics.
- You now Turn on the computer, press hotkey to choose USB-HDD boot device. At the Chimera Boot Screen, choose your new Yosemite installation. And then Complete OS X Yosemite setup.
- Download and run MultiBeast
If this is a fresh installation, click Quick Start to choose EasyBeast, UserDSDT, or DSDT-Free. For 7/8/9 series recommended builds choose DSDT-Free.
- Click Drivers for Audio, Graphics, and Network options
- You can click on Customize for further options
- You now should click Print or Save to back up your configuration. Finally, click on Build then Install.
Restart computer to complete installationWell 🙂 You have just done installing Mac OS X Yosemite on Intel AMD Desktop PC. Leave a comment if having any troubles.